This recipe was so yummy! I did some googling and found that many other people had used zucchini to replace noodles in their dishes so I decided to try it.
I didn't find a recipe with everything I wanted... So I made my own. The pictures in the collage are pretty much in the order of the steps I am about to go over with you and then at the bottom I will go over my sauce. I made a half pan but I know most people would want to make a 9x13 so the recipe is sized for larger pan size.
- 2 jars spaghetti sauce or my recipe for sauce is at the bottom
- 2 cps low fat small curd cottage cheese
- 2 cps low fat mozzarella shredded cheese (1/4 cp set aside for topping)
- 1 egg
- 2 large zucchini, sliced
- Fresh or frozen spinach (optional and you can use as much or as little as you prefer)
I bought a new slicer for this recipe. I love it!
It is available at Amazon here, or you can pick it up at your local Walmart.
It is incredible sharp, and is only $10!
- Slice zucchini lengthwise. While slicing boil water to quick cook the zucchini.
- Put zucchini in water until semi cooked. Place in cold water to stop cooking. Pat Dry.
- In medium bowl mix egg, cottage cheese and 1 3/4 cp shredded cheese
- Spray pan with non stick
- Layer lasagna. This is the order I used:
- spinach (patted dry)
- cheese mixture
- Top layer should be sauce. Bake covered at 350 for 45 min.
- Uncover, sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese over top. Bake 15 min. still uncovered
- Let cool for 5 min then serve.
- 1 lb ground Turkey
- 2 28oz cans of crushed tomatoes
- 4-5 diced mushrooms
- 1/4 cp diced onions
- 1/2 Tbs dried oregano
- 1/2 Tbs dried basil
- 1/2 Tbs diced garlic (in oil from jar is what I had on hand)
- While browning meat in skillet add seasonings and garlic
- When meat is half done add onions
- When meat is completely cooked add crushed tomatoes
- Lower heat to simmer
- Add mushrooms
I make the sauce first so it has a chance to simmer and mix flavors while I do everything else.
Like I mentioned in my vlog yesterday spaghetti sauce is my favorite to play with because you really don't need to measure. Taste it. If you want a stronger flavor add more stuff to it. If you don't like mushrooms then don't put them in.
I love chunky sauce, that is why I have meat, onions, mushrooms and sometimes bell peppers if I have them diced in my freezer already.
If you decide to try it let me know! I find that the lasagna is really light and doesn't weigh you down like traditional Italian food does and it is great for left overs too!
Disclaimer: The amazon link posted above is an affiliate link and using that link to purchase your item supports BitofByrd.